Sunday, December 12, 2010

Decking the Foxfire Hollow Halls


The definition of foxfire is " a magical light glimpsed in the forest". So our cabin like house, buried in acres of woods, protected on two sides by a friendly hill-is Foxfire Hollow. This year I painted the front door RED. I saw this configuration of 3 wreathes in a Martha catalog. I though how cool! Then did the math. Two doors Xs two wreath sets at $99 each-was the same as my electric bill! So I recreated the look for $15. Yep. Six wreathes from Walmart @ $2 each. Three stems of glittered holly berries @$1. I had the ribbon. I added sprigs of real pine, cedar and holly-cut from the property. Savings=$178. What is not evident is that I got the wreathes already to go-realized I would have to drive 6 nails into the door. Then realized the doors are made of STEEL! Fortunately the little trim bits are plastic, and I managed to work the nails into them. DUMB!
The entry way. The rug is a horse blanket. The wooden shoes from my honeymoon in Holland.
The living room all decked out for the holidays. A comfy quilt and some holiday pillows. I am growing 3 amaryllis bulbs-they look like they should bloom about Christmas-don't you think? Please see some more pictures of our holiday house in the next blog entry.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are indeed a domestic goddess and thrifty too! A perfect combination.
Mrs Noofy

Diane aka cameldiva said...

Gorgeous, Susie!!
What a lovely and welcoming entrance. You must love the holidays. I found some mini christmas stockings (sized to hold gift cards) and stuck them on various kitchen knob handles.That's the extent of my holiday decorating. that and the wreath I made years ago.

Deb Moon said...

Oh Susie, that front door is Fabulous! I like the added touch of the wooden shoes too. Are you sure your name is not June Cleaver? Just lovely!

Suji said...

Beautiful inside and out! Please come decorate my house.

Nancy said...

Love you door, perfect!

Jen said...

I love the doors! Those wreaths are amazing! Much better then just one on each door!

Anonymous said...

Amazing.. I just love this site..
thanks for posting..

Merbau Decking